May 29, 2010

Film!: The Runaways


If I could ever stick my dick into a movie, this would be the one. That's precisely the thought that hit me a little past the half-way mark... and while the thought never really occurred to me before, the more I thought about it later, I discovered that it actually had before. Just never really in those words exactly. I had similar feelings when I was watching Jennifer's Body, but did I actually consider the movie some sort of fuckable object? I remember watching Dario Argento's film The Stendhal Syndrome and constantly finding my left hand roaming down the cornflower blue tie to inside the f'n khakis while I sat in my IKEA designed studio apartment. I was supposed to be selling that soap and not sticking into it too deep until it really stung... does that make me a freak? Well you can't confuse and you just can't choose what it's gonna do.


Alright, so it's probably no secret that I've been in love with Kristen Stewart ever since I spied through her bedroom window with my night vision goggles a few years back... and I may have mentioned once or twice in the past that I've got this unhealthy obsession with Dakota Fanning. Oh, and not to mention the fact that female lead singers, and chick bands in general, just f'n drive me into a spank frenzy. So when I heard about The Runaways (2010) I, well, basically I scorched my shorts. And then there were the news bits that came every other week... that it's 'raunchy as hell' being mainly the message. I'm hearing about Dakota's menstruation scene, then her and Kristen's lesbian make-out scene... so I'm seein' red and pink... then I come across this picture of KS in her patch-gear outfit and after I view the trailer, I've got the tunnel vision. That last one could have been caused by a mix of alcohol and binoculars however.

I was dying to see this movie at the cinema. When the official Limited release date came about I was all giddy and shit, checking online for anything near me... and nothing! Wouldn't you know it. What was this, like, two months ago? I was pissed off needless to say. There's not much really that gets my attention these days to this extent, and the film's distributors go and drop the ball majorly. I don't mind limited releases, but this movie is starring at present time, two of the most famous young ladies in the world and it's nowhere to be seen. Insanity? No matter, I finally got my hot shot and as of now the film is permanently in the system. So what did I think of The Runaways? Are you kidding me... I fucking loved it! Not to say that there weren't a few minor problems.

Kristen and Dakota were spot on as usual, sinking into the roles and becoming Joan and Cherie to sheer perfection. And Michael Shannon as Kim Fowley, hell, I'm sure his part alone will easily be considered the show stealer. All three of them are of course the "anchors" of the film, and all three roles are pulled off brilliantly, essentially making the film as great as it can be. Apart from Stella Maeve as drummer Sandy West, the other two girls in the band are pretty much forgotten due to "rights issues". So unfortunately for Scout Taylor-Compton and Alia Shawkat fans, things are on the back-burner this time around. They both get a single shining moment at least. The film is based on an autobiography by Cherie Currie, so none of the other girls really get back-stories anyways, including Joan Jett. So I guess it doesn't matter much after all is said and done.

The ending is to be expected as well, which is rather somber. After all, that's how things really went for the most part. This isn't Sid and Nancy. There's no murder, no suicide, no death... just a split between friends and lovers. The drugs, insanity, rebellion, and sexiness however did take place and it was just fucking lovely mate. Not that the ending is a problem, and non-technically, neither is the storyline 'exclusion' of the bassist and lead guitarist... really, I could care less. I've never really been into Lita Ford much. And the other chick, Fox, threatening to sue, really? It's all shit only the overly anal would really mind. I'm not some f'n Runaways fanatic or anything, so Meh is what I say to it all. Everyone should have gotten on board as far as I'm concerned, but then again, I don't like getting into politics.

So fuck 'em. Hey, go see The Runaways.

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.