October 25, 2011

Opa-Opa Pumpkin Pale Ale

Well, ye-fuckin'-haw... look what I found at the back of the fridge.


Opa-Opa Pumpkin Pale Ale (2011)
Autumn Seasonal (Limited Release)
Brewed and Bottled by the Opa-Opa Steakhouse and Brewery in Southampton, MA.
64  fl. oz (1/2 Gallon) /  $7.99 USD plus a $2.00 bottle deposit! / ?.?% ABV (There's no info on this anywhere, but their Pale Ale is 5.6%)

Bottle: All of their growlers are generic with a sticker on the top of the cap and a cardboard label that's placed over it. I didn't even know that this beverage existed and I guess not too many people do because I can't find any info on it anywhere (it's not even listed on their own website). It was mixed in with the others just like it and I only overheard somebody asking for something pumpkin, and by chance afterwards I got the last one.

Appearance: Poured an amber, near golden orange.
 
Aroma: Smells sweet and mild. No spices are jumping out at me, but from them I'm getting a little cinnamon and some slight nutmeg. Light earthy pumpkin aroma go along with the hops.

Taste: The taste is decent enough. It's pretty light all around though. True to their word the pumpkin and spice are subtle undertones of the Pale Ale. Still, it tastes of sweet pumpkin flesh. There just doesn't seem to be anything outstanding about this one, but the brew is decent enough.

Mouth-Feel: Light, smooth, goes down easy... but it's a little too watery for me.

Finish and Overall: Leaves a nice pumpkin aftertaste that's mellow, but it's pretty disappointing overall. It tastes good though, and I guess that's what matters most. It's not bitter, or sour or displeasing... it's just a bit plain. If this were a higher alcohol content with a bit more of that raw pumpkin that they've used I would most likely give it a better rating. I don't know if this is the first year they brewed this, but if so they could do a lot better. How I'll ever know will remain a mystery to me unless I stumble upon it at some future beer tasting, but I doubt that.

1 comment:

Anthony1138 said...

You can't beat $9.99 including the growler. I've paid more for less beer that wasn't even good. Plus you get a growler!

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.