March 13, 2012

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock - Bottom Fermented Dark Double Buck Bier (2011)
Brewed and Bottled by Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer, Aying. Germany.
Year Round Beer.
11.2 fl. oz. / $1.89 USD / 6.7% ABV

About: "Bottom-fermented, dark double buck bier A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year's aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish."

Thoughts: Celebrator poured a dark amber brown that settled into a deep brown with shades of ruby red, and a one inch tan head that later faded into a small puddle of mud.

This beer smells absolutely brilliant. Starts off with a bit of roasted coffee, then chocolate malts and heavy cream. Slight spices creep up the nose, and everything is very very sweet.

Starts off malty with a sweet foam that slowly lowers into a coffee flavored brandy taste and then retreats into a slight tingle of hops. Little bit of a fruity sensation around the middle of this one. A very light snap of that alcohol and bitterness. Caramel coating down the throat. Like an M&M and raisin muffin dipped in beer.

Thicker than usual medium and a bit frothy. I could tell this one was going to be a bit silky and syrupy as I poured it. It just has that look.

I'm not really a Bock kind of guy. Stouts and Bocks are cool from time to time, but not something I'll ever drink on a regular basis. This double bock however, is the best bock I've ever had. It's quality stuff, and quite superb. This is my second brew from Ayinger and I've got to say that they're doing quite a fine job at making beers that please all my senses so far.

No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.