August 10, 2012

Lost Abbey Judgment Day

Lost Abbey Judgment Day - Ale Brewed with Raisins (2012)
Year Round Beer.
25.4 fl. oz. / $8.59 USD / 10.5% ABV

About: "A massive beer in every sense of the word. A stronger and more contemplative version of our Lost and Found Ale. Judgment Day is the base beer for our Cuvee de Tomme. Many of the Trappist Breweries produce a version of beer which ages incredibly well for many years to come. And, since none of us knows when the end of the world is coming, we suggest you stock up with lots of Lost Abbey beers so that when the end of the world magically appears from no where, you’ll have a beer or two on hand for even the stingiest of angels.

Malts - Two Row, Wheat, Medium and Dark English Crystal, Special B and Chocolate Malt. / Hops - Challenger and East Kent Golding / Yeast - Proprietary Belgian Ale Strain / Adjuncts - Dextrose and Raisins."

Thoughts: JD poured a very dark amber shade that formed into an extremely deep purple that was near pitch black in the goblet, and was topped with a light and creamy multicolored, semi-foamy head.

I'm pondering why they named this one Judgment Day. It smells deceptive. Very fruity, yet dark Very powerful, yet constrained. I'm absolutely loving the raisins here. If the actual Judgment smell like this then I'd be happier than hell to welcome it even more than I do so now.

I got hit with some Belgian type yeast at first sip. There are strong and forceful dark fruit notes that come pummeling through, immediately followed by a beautiful and long lasting high-alcohol raisin smothering. The taste is similar to the smell, only it's a heightened version of it. It's not blindingly strong, but it's damn close. It's heavy handed, chewy and delightful. The fruity notes are all over the place and travel in circles throughout the mouth, ranging from black cherry to plum to raisin, all with burnt sugary spikes in between. There's a little molasses in the background, but I'm not focusing on that or the bready malts, as I can't help but enjoy the absurdly flavorful brazenness.

Feel is tingling, very bubbly and it leaves a slightly orgasmic burning haze after each gulp.

This is an awesome tasting and worthwhile ale. I'm really into these heavy raisin brews for some reason... which is weird because I haven't ever really enjoyed raisins as much as this and even somewhat disliked them as a kid. So what the fuck is going on with these ales brewed with a shitload of raisins that I love so much!? I haven't had many, but every single one I've tried I've loved. I guess it just comes down to... I want that purple stuff!

"That's the ingredients. Sugar. Water. And of course, Purple."

No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.