October 13, 2012

Southampton Pumpkin Ale

Southampton Publick House Pumpkin Ale - Ale brewed with pumpkin, spices and vanilla extract (2012)
Brewed and Bottled by Southampton Publick House in Southampton, NY. USA.
Autumn Seasonal (Limited Release)
12 fl. oz. / $1.66 USD / 5.5% ABV

About: "Southampton Pumpkin Ale is an unique amber-colored brew that has particular appeal during the autumn months and the holidays of Halloween and Thanksgiving. We use a generous amount of pumpkin as well as traditional "pumpkin pie" spices to give this unusual brew a definite seasonal character. Available in 22oz bottles and seasonal draft."

Thoughts: The cap on this one was pretty damn tough to peel off. Just thought I'd point that out. This one poured a gloomy amber orange that's a complete haze. The crackling sliver of a head evaporated almost immediately, and the carbonation in this is going absolutely nuts! This is the most carbonated beer I've ever seen in my life.

The smell is a strange one. I'm reminded immediately of a Dogfish Head brew... Pangaea. That beer brewed with crystallized ginger and European yeast that smells a bit like a Thai dish with peanuts. This one's just like that... very earthy, nutty, sour, loads of ginger and nutmeg. It smells overall like a mushy substance. I'm hardly getting any cinnamon or vanilla at all.

Hit with an instant sour sting on the first gulp. Taste is just like the scent. No real difference there, but there's a slight graininess to it. It's very chalky. A little peppery. Tangy. Not sweet at all. I don't know if that's vanilla extract or booze. This is a bitter, sour, clove bomb with a lot of caramel malt backup. Interesting to say the least, but not what I'm looking for in a Pumpkin Ale. 

Leaves the mouth a little dry.

This beer isn't horrible. If you're looking for a pumpkin beer that packs a punch and delivers, well, this one ain't it. It seems like a weak, Belgian version of DFH Punk. If you're into clove dominated pumpkin ales, you may enjoy this... as it's somewhat on that end of the spectrum. It's at least a little unique, I guess.

No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.