December 25, 2011

Shipyard Applehead

Shipyard Applehead (2011)
Winter Seasonal - December through March (New Release)
12 fl. oz. / $1.85 USD / 4.5% ABV

About: "Master brewer Alan Pugsley has combined the subtle sweetness of cinnamon and apple with a clean, refreshing wheat ale to create a whole new beer experience. Malt: 2-Row British Pale Ale, Light Munich, Malted Wheat / Hops: Willamette, Hallertau / Yeast: Top-Fermenting English." 

Thoughts: Poured a very light and translucent Granny Smith apple green with a ton of carbonation bubbles going crazy and a little white head that vanished in an instant. 

Hmm. Smells pretty good actually. The spices and brew base are obviously a clone of their Pumpkinhead, except this smells really fresh. Incredibly fresh even, and even like a McDonald's apple pie (is that a contradiction?). Haven't had one of those in about fifteen years but this smells like I remember them.

Huh. Not sure if the smell trumps the taste, but that was the first thought that popped into my tiny brain, so it must, right? The smell actually closely resembles the taste and though pretty watered down feeling, there is this incredible little burst of pie crust that's coming through and quite simply saves the beer from the (b)land of oblivion. Must be the wheat background! The spices aren't bad or overpowering, and it tastes clean. It's sweet, and not at all sour.

This is pretty damn watery. Thin. And most surely gets boring after one beer.

Well, I finally broke down and tried it. I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to Apples, Cider and especially Beer with "apples". This beer isn't horrendous though. It's a great deal better than their lazy ass production of Pumpkinhead beers from last year. What, did it all just become too routine? "The zombie hordes will still buy it even if we don't try." This Applehead tastes like it would be on tap, freshly popped like a new cherry. I guess that's the key: a little effort. It is after all a new product. Will this beer steadily decline in quality over the next year or two? I guess we'll see.



No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.