December 2, 2012

Oskar Blues TEN FIDY

Oskar Blues TEN FIDY (2012)
Brewed and Canned by Oskar Blues Brewery, in Longmont, CO. USA.
Year Round Brew.
12 fl. oz. (x4) / 15.99 USD / 10.5% ABV

About: "This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt.  Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Ten FIDY is the ultimate celebration of dark malts and boundary-stretching beer."

Thoughts: Look what just showed up in town (I never see this stuff anywhere aside from trips to NH), and hell, it's only two and a half weeks old. Nice.

Ten Fidy poured a super dark brown that turned instant black in the goblet. It's got a dark milk chocolate head, and tiny black bubbles that move slowly towards the edge of the glass. It looks like floating forward through space. I'm officially tripping out while staring into this beer.

Smells like cold ass coffee, and after that fades, chocolate cereal... like syrup covered smacks or something. Thick and sludgy, notes of chocolate and toasty oats. It smells very sugary.

Tons of roasted malt explode in the mouth, followed by a sweet haze of booze, an extremely gentle bitterness and a warm feeling all over. Getting some dark fruit notes, and after a while the hops start tingling all around the place. Coffee in the taste is laying low, and there's a dominantly roasted and toasty quality to the whole brew. Lots of oats and barley, with caramel and chocolate in the background.

Finishes with some grassy tones and a haze of thick, foggy booze.

Mouth feel is pretty amazing. Probably the best thing about this beer. It's full, and just pops all over the place. It leaves a thick film in the mouth and coats after expanding really quick. This ones got a real warmth to it and I'm feeling the head down below. I like this one, but it's doubtful I'll buy another four pack anytime soon considering the outlandish price. It's all relative, but still. 

2 comments:

Anthony1138 said...

Ten Fidy is one of my favorite stouts. Hell, it's one of my favorite beers. One of the best imperial stouts in the world. I've been drinking this stuff for years and can't get enough. Even had it on tap, but never the elusive Bourbon aged variety.

Your can was pretty green. This is a beer you definitely want to get some age on. I have a 4-pack in my fridge that I'm letting age for a long time. I spoke to an Oscar Blues rep that had a can in the fridge for 5 years, and it was incredible. I hope I can hold out that long.

I'm glad you got to try this one. Not sure what other Oscar Blues beers are available, but they're all pretty decent. My favorites: Deviant Dale's is a badass IPA that I think you'll enjoy. Momma's Little Yellow Pills is a straight-up awesome Pilsner.

DrunkethWizerd said...

I'm pretty sure I've got access to like five or six of their other beers, so I'll be sure to try them out with your recommendation.

I know they've got older versions of this 1050 in NH. Maybe I'll grab another can if I can get a single, and hide it in the back of the fridge. Who knows.

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.