December 26, 2012

Founders Cerise

Founders Cerise - Cherry Fermented Ale (2012)
Seasonal Release (Discontinued - No Longer Brewed)
12 fl. oz. / $3.25 USD / 6.5% ABV

About: "You’ll have a soft spot for this one. Using only fresh Michigan tart cherries, this beauty tantalizes with intense flavors combined with a no hesitation malt bill. Adding fresh cherries at five separate stages of fermentation achieves the ultimate balance between tartness and sweetness."

Thoughts: My first Founders. Pretty excited about it. Seen the bottles in the store for a long time, but figured I'd start off with this special release of theirs. A "Malt Beverage with Cherry Puree". Nice!

Cerise poured a raspberry red color, almost burgundy, like a dark orange-red that hides itself in shadows. The small, slightly pink head fizzled away rather quickly. Carbonation seems low. This beer is extremely hazy. I really like the color on this one. There's just something about red beers that makes me feel... sexy. Uh, I mean evil as shit. Yeah, that's the ticket. 

Smell up front is very malty. It's not really giving off any real "fruity" notes, but rather there seems to be a lurking tartness to it. Cherry is present overall, just laying low.

Wow! Holy fuck. Those cherries didn't really come out in the scent but man, they come out blasting in flavor stages. Starts off with a sweetness, and a sweet tart that builds up incredibly slow before delivering a puckering punch right to the cheeks. This is very flavorful, and leaves a blazing trail of cherry rush throughout the mouth. The effect is pretty intense right at the back of the tongue immediately following the swallow. Leafy hops start to appear as I breathe in and smack my lips. Utterly sweet, tart as hell in some spots and all in all pretty damn tasty.

The feel is a viscous attack on the taste buds! It's a lighter medium, and it's a little foamy, but when it hits you it's a real smacker. I can't imagine drinking more than one of these at a time. This stuff is crazy.

No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.