August 12, 2012

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker (2012)
Summer Seasonal.
12 fl. oz. / $1.49 USD / 4.5% ABV

About: "Perfect for any summer day, Porch Rocker was inspired by traditional Bavarian Radlers that mix beer with German-style lemonade. Our bright and citrusy Radler is a Helles beer with a fresh-squeezed lemon taste, effervescent sweetness, and slightly tart, refreshing finish. A light malt character and hint of hops balance out this satisfying summer brew. Malt Varieties: Samuel Adams® two-row pale malt blend / Hop Variety: Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble hops / Special Ingrediens: Lemon / Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams lager yeast."

Thoughts: Porch Rocker poured a super light yellowish gold color with a fizzy white head that evaporated fast as all hell. The beer is almost completely clear, but something interesting, all of the carbonation bubbles are clinging to the side and laying at the bottom of the glass. Weird, dude. A floor lining of bubbles... they look like those little underwater eggs from Hellboy.

The smell is kind of out there. It's not strong at all, but it's pretty damn fruity. Kinda like Fruity Pebbles, but not as distinct. It's a bit lemony, and there's an almost unnoticeable scent of hops.

The taste is an amped up version of the smell. Liquid Fruity Pebbles, with no milk. It's malty for the most part, with only a little hop burst at the end, and while pretty OK, it's a bit on the light side. But I suppose that's the point of this beer. It's got a very good ratio between sweet and tart, leaves a very welcome aftertaste and is incredibly refreshing. Not bad at all. This must be the liquid equivalent to light fluffy cereal.

Mouth feel is light, very watery, a little bit airy, incredibly easy to drink and just slightly filmy.

I bought a single of this figuring I'd probably end up disappointed, but I guess I'm not. I ended up drinking this beer pretty fast and actually this is the best I've felt all day. There must be something about these light citrus beers after a ten hour work day that just work well for me. I'm not super enthusiastic about this one, and I doubt that I would drink more than two in a sitting before switching to something heavier, but it was still pretty good.

No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.