February 19, 2012

Southern Tier Imperial Iniquity

Southern Tier IMPERIAL iniquity - black ale (2011)
Everyday Availability.
22 fl. oz. / $7.49 USD / 9.0% ABV

About: "The hexagram talisman has been used around the world for centuries to invoke magic and good luck. The six–point star is also the customary symbol of the brewer, representing the essential aspects of purity: water, hops, grain, malt, yeast, and of course, the brewer. Wishes of good fortune often collaborate with the brewer’s creativity to yield dramatic results. We carefully chose the name for this Imperial India Black Ale, Iniquity – a word opposing goodness. Why? This beer is contrary to what one may expect from an IPA; this is an ale as black as night. It is the antithesis of Unearthly. Some may consider it an immoral act to blacken an ale. We suggest they don’t rely on conventional standards. Allow the darkness to consume you!"

Thoughts: Iniquity black ale poured a not-so-much black but rather a rich, dark brown and after the pour a caramel like near dark. The brown eggshell, one finger head maintained itself very well, never completely fading away.

First hint of scent was a strong, dry hop. It's mainly citrus and grassy. Then a really malty tone flowed in, almost near chocolatey, but not exactly. The toasted malts don't remind me of coffee thankfully. One thing's for sure, this smells really tasty!

Very malty starting off, malty in the middle, then bits of hops flow in and a hazy bite of alcohol hits. It almost tastes like one of those chocolate oranges you see at gourmet candy shops... almost. It tastes better than that actually. There's a really cool mingling of flavors and different style beers here, is this an IPA or a Porter? Who gives a shit as labels piss me off. There's a lot of malt for an IPA, and while I'm not all too fond of stouts or porters (for the most part), this brew is leaving me pretty damn satisfied.

It's a bit syrupy and even a bit fluffy feeling. Heh. Fluffy...

There's a little bit of that dusty candy taste once it's all gone. I'm getting used to that. It's not as bad this time around compared to some other brews, and it's definitely not a problem here. No complaints from me with this beer. I dig the whole "Black Ale" thing too.

No comments:

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.