November 8, 2011

Spaten Oktoberfest

Spaten Oktoberfest - Ur-Märzen (2011)
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu in Munich, Germany.
12 fl oz. / $1.69 USD / 5.9% ABV

The Dreaded Green Bottle!!
Info: "Spaten Oktoberfest Beer is amber in color. This medium bodied beer has achieved its impeccable taste by balancing the roasted malt flavor with the perfect amount of hops. Having a rich textured palate with an underlying sweetness true to tradition."

Look: Poured an dark amber orange with a half inch white head that faded slowly. The bubbles were small and the carbonation was abundant at first but later died down.

Smell: Definitely getting some kind of grape wine, and it is strong. Smells a little funky and fruity like prunes or figs. Lightly bitter as well. It's got a bit of that skunk going on.

Taste: Like a light malt liquor with raisins. It's not bad. Not gonna say that it's necessarily good either. It tastes different than I had expected, but still has that German flair about it. Reminds me of Rolling Rock for some reason, and I'm not really into that beer. I know I may be a funky guy, but there's only so much I can take sometimes.

Mouth: Feels a little filmy, bubbly. Medium body that goes down alright.

Overall: Aftertaste is like I drank some grape juice that had gone bad. It's not really unpleasant, but that doesn't make it any better. The bottom line is that the taste didn't agree with me. I wouldn't really recommend this.

1 comment:

Anthony1138 said...

Spaten Oktoberfest is probably the most accessible German Märzen, because it's available all year long. From what I understand, it's only brewed once a year like other Märzens. It's just that they brew so damn much of it that there's enough to go around. I like it just fine, personally. Better on tap if you can find it.

My words are my own and as of posted from their creation forward I hereby claim originality to them. Pictures may prove to be promotional items and are the sole possessions of their respectful owners and/or companies. I do not sell, nor do I buy. I only rent, so therefore, nothing I own is truly mine.